Strategic Plan - College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
Strategic Plan for the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
University of Central Missouri
2013-2018 College Plan
The disciplines in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CAHSS) provide the major core of liberal learning at the University of Central Missouri, and inspire students to be lifelong learners. Students receive immersion into various disciplines including specialized training in the fine and performing arts. As such, the CAHSS provides students with the academic foundation and experience needed for success in designated careers, professional school, advanced studies, and a world of ongoing change.Vision
- Help to make UCM the intellectual and cultural center for the region and beyond.
- Exemplify the teacher-scholar model through the philosophy and practice of continuous improvement in teaching and research at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Be a model for creating and sustaining high quality academic programs that receive regional and national recognition.
- Be known for valuing students, staff, and faculty, and for rewarding excellence.\
- Respect for students, staff, colleagues, and friends
- Rewards for results
- Creativity and academic rigor
1. Cultivate an engaging intellectual climate in which learning is emphasized.
i) Create opportunities for ongoing discussion of best practices in teaching and learning.
ii) Host acclaimed scholars and decision makers in pertinent disciplines and professions.
iii) Develop instruments to assess and improve student learning.
2. Expand and strengthen the cultural assets of UCM to inform and enrich the campus and the wider community.
i) The successful integration of the Performing Arts Series into the College.
ii) Increased attendance and/or season subscriptions to Theatre, Music, and other Performing Arts events.
iii) Cultivate and utilize local talents from among students under the guidance of their faculty.
3. Exemplify the teacher-scholar model through the philosophy and practice of continuous improvement in teaching and research at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
i. Increase the number and quality of research/creative projects undertaken by the faculty as a result of promotion and additional time made available through reduced teaching load.
ii. Increase number of students who gain admission to graduate and professional programs through high expectation, modeling academic rigor, mentoring, and advising.
iii. Strengthen faculty-student co-authored publications.
4. Assertively seek internal and external resources, including support for sponsored research, scholarships, teaching, and high impact learning opportunities: competitive academic teams (Debate, Mock Trial, Model UN, etc.), and work with radio, television, film, etc.
i) Increase number and kind of grant applications in all areas.
ii) Increase endowed scholarship funds.
iii) Attract financial support for a Performing and Visual Arts Center.
iv) Attract support for the establishment of Centers/Institutes.
5. Be a model of high quality academic programs that receive regional and national recognition.
i) In Theatre: Continue training of students in pursuit of regional recognition through the Kennedy Center
ii) Focus on quality improvement in pursuit of American College Theatre Festival recognition for both faculty and student works.
iii) Pursue highest accreditation available in all programs.
iv) Increase demand for our graduates by prominent national employers through exceptional networking, student preparation, and advising.
6. Be known for valuing students, staff, and faculty and for rewarding excellence.
i) Foster outstanding performance and improve significance of awards for student, staff, and faculty accomplishments.
ii) Increase retention of qualified students, staff, and faculty by requiring high levels of performance and providing academic and professional tools for outstanding accomplishments.
iii) Increase and promote staff and faculty development opportunities.
7. Create a college community that values excellence based on the principle of continuous improvement
i) Strengthen CQIP initiatives.
ii) Incorporate continuous improvement principles into annual report, program review, and planning.
iii) Incorporate principles of continuous improvement into teaching/learning assessment instruments.
8. Take high impact learning and faculty collaboration to a level where our community, as well as alumni and friends around the country, might benefit from the rich intellectual and cultural environment already created on campus.
i) Create Renaissance Online to highlight achievements of students and faculty and offer alumni and friends the opportunity to support programs in the CAHSS.
ii) Create the UCM Media Network (Television and Radio) that will offer a wide range of high impact learning opportunities for students.
iii) Coordinate CAHSS events and activities from which programs might be developed for UCM Media Network.