Winter Break Closing Procedures Checklist
For health and safety reasons, every room needs to be cleaned and prepared for staff to check you out before you leave for break. If you have a roommate, the room will need to be cleaned before the first roommate leaves for the break and BOTH residents will have to check out with the CA.
Failure to do so will result in a $50 improper checkout fee.
Checklist to ensure your room is clean and prepared for the break:
- Take all garbage to the dumpster and make sure garbage can is free of all debris.
- Room must be free of all other garbage like pizza boxes, empty beverage containers, etc.
- Empty recycling bin in the appropriate container.
- Clean your bathroom thoroughly:
- Shower/tub - wiped out and free of any visible stains, hair, mold, etc.
- Toilet - wiped out and free of any visible stains, debris, etc.
- Sink - wiped out and free of any stains, debris, etc.
- Floor - swept and mopped.
- Clear the floor in your room of all items that don’t typically belong there (clothes, garbage, papers, etc.).
- Sweep and mop the visible areas of your floor.
- Vacuum any carpet or large rug in your room.
- Unplug everything in your room, including power strips and extension cords.
- Unplug and leave your refrigerator open. Place a towel in the bottom of your refrigerator to absorb any moisture associated with defrosting.
- Take home all perishable food items. Do not leave opened food products in the room. Store unopened items.
- Clean and store all dining ware (plates, utensils, cups, etc.) appropriately.
- Close and lock all windows and close all blinds/drapes.
- If you are living in a room by yourself (even if your roommate just moved out), but not paying the single room rate, you must have your room prepared for a roommate. This means one bed, one desk, one closet and half of the dresser drawers must be completely empty and clean.
Halls close on Friday, December 13, 2013 at 6 p.m. Anyone needing to stay past this time needs to make prior arrangements. Halls open at noon on Jan. 12, 2014 for current students.