University of Central Missouri Policy
Policy Name: Use of University Seal Policy
Date Approved: 4/4/2005
Policy Category: UCM Procedures & Guidelines
Date Effective: 12/02/2016
Date Last Revised: 12/02/2016
Approval Authority: University President
Responsible Department: Office of the President
The customary use of a seal is to signify authenticity of legal documents of the corporate body; however, it is recognized that the University of Central Missouri is a source of pride to many and that there may be a desire to display the seal as a symbol of the institution.
This policy applies to the use of the university seal.
University Seal – the most formal mark adopted by the University of Central Missouri.
The use of the seal of the university is established in accordance with the following standards:
- The seal is reserved for formal and official communications, such as diplomas, letters of acceptance, and communications from the Board of Governors of the Office of the President.
- The embossed seal is the corporate mark of identification signifying authenticity of contracts, agreements and other documents executed in the name of the university, and its use is limited to that purpose.
- To obtain a seal an office with frequent and legitimate need for a seal will get the approval of the university president then order the seal through the office of University Relations. The individual seal shall have the name of the office using it on the seal.
- The instrument of the seal and any replicas shall be in the secure custody of those few administrators found by the president to have a frequent and legitimate need for a seal.
- A non-embossed reproduction of the seal, while unofficial, may be used within the university for purposes authorized by the Office of the President.
- When authorized by the Office of the President, use of the seal by external entities on or in connection with their services or products shall be permitted only if subject to a license agreement with the university. The seal has been registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Standards regarding use and reproduction of the seal are available from the Office of the President.