Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

Registrar & Student Records

Ward Edwards 1000
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660.543.4900
Fax: 660.543.8400


Academic Dismissal

The information on this page is for undergraduate students only. Graduate students can learn about academic standing in the Graduate Catalog available here.

What is Academic Dismissal?

An undergraduate student who has been suspended and then reinstated will continue to be on academic probation until both the UCM and cumulative GPA are at least 2.00. If the student does not achieve a semester/enrollment period GPA of 2.00 or higher in a subsequent semester/enrollment period while on probation will be dismissed.

How long do I have to sit out if I am dismissed?

Academic dismissal is for a period of one calendar year, after which, a student may petition for reinstatement.  Reinstatement is not guaranteed and is granted through a petitioning process.  Your petition will be reviewed by the academic college of your major.  If you are changing majors since your last enrollment, your new major will make the reinstatement decision.  If you are undecided about a major your petition will be reviewed by the office of Gateway Advising and Major Exploration Center.  The Registrar's Office does not review reinstatement petitions. Contact your academic advisor with any questions regarding a pending petition.

How do I get back into good academic standing?

Undergraduate students are considered in good standing when both their Central Missouri GPA and cumulative GPA are at least a 2.00.

How will I be notified if I am academically dismissed?

If you are academically dismissed, you will be contacted by the University by the Wednesday following finals week, after final grades are available.  The university will contact you two different ways with this information.  You will receive an e-mail to your UCM e-mail account and a personal announcement in MyCentral.  Both of these contacts will be sent from the Registrar’s Office.  A paper letter will not be sent to inform you of your academic standing.

You can also check your academic standing at anytime in MyCentral and on your unofficial transcript.

How does being on academic dismissal affect my financial aid?

If you have been approved to receive financial assistance for a future semester, your assistance will be canceled due to your dismissal. If and when you are reinstated, the UCM Office of Student Financial Services will be notified, and your aid will be reviewed and reinstated if you meet eligibility criteria. Questions regarding financial assistance may be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services at 660-543-8266.

Eligibility for academics and eligibility for financial aid, while connected, are two different things.  A student can be reinstated to attend the university but remain ineligible for financial aid.  To qualify for financial aid, students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).


In addition, changes in 2012 federal financial aid policy allow students to repeat courses that they previously earned a grade of D or higher in only once. Students who repeat such courses for a third (or subsequent) time will not qualify for financial aid for the course and may need to add additional courses to reach 12 qualified credit hours to receive federal financial aid.  Details of the UCM course repeat policy can be found here.