Skip to Main Navigation | Skip to Content

Registrar & Student Records

Ward Edwards 1000
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone: 660.543.4900
Fax: 660.543.8400


Academic Probation

The information on this page is for undergraduate students only. Graduate students can learn about probation in the Graduate Catalog available here.

What is academic probation?

An undergraduate student whose Central Missouri or cumulative GPA drops below 2.00 will be placed on academic probation.  New freshmen who do not meet regular admissions criteria will be placed on academic probation at the time of admission. A transfer student will be placed on academic probation at the time of admission if his/her cumulative GPA is less than 2.00. 

Students placed on academic probation may continue to enroll in classes.  Students are encouraged to seek advice from their academic advisor about future enrollments.  Undergraduate students on academic probation may not enroll in more than 15 semester hours during any Fall and Spring semester of academic probation. Students who are admitted to the University on probation (both freshmen and transfers) must earn a 2.00 GPA during their first semester at UCM to continue enrollment.

How long will I be on probation?

Undergraduate students on academic probation must earn semester GPAs of at least a 2.00 during each semester of academic probation in order to continue at the university.  When a student on academic probation raises both their Central Missouri GPA and their cumulative GPA to 2.00 or above, the student is removed from probation.

Once on academic probation, if a student earns a semester GPA below 2.00 he/she will be suspended or dismissed (status depends on prior academic standing) from the university. 

Transfer credit will not help to raise the Central Missouri GPA, but will affect the cumulative GPA.  Before repeating coursework at another institution, please read the policies governing course repeats.

How do I get back into good academic standing?

Undergraduate students are considered in good standing when both their Central Missouri GPA and cumulative GPA are at least a 2.00.

What happens if I don't bring my grades up after I am put on probation?

A student on academic probation will be suspended or dismissed (status depends on prior academic standing) from Central Missouri at the conclusion of their next semester if their semester GPA is less than 2.00.

How will I be notified if I am placed on academic probation?

If you are placed or continued on academic probation you will be contacted by the University by the Wednesday following finals week, after final grades are available.  The university will contact you two different ways with this information.  You will receive an e-mail to your UCM e-mail account and a personal announcement in MyCentral.  Both of these contacts will be sent from the Registrar’s Office.  A paper letter will not be sent to inform you of your academic standing.

You can also check your academic standing at anytime in MyCentral and on your unofficial transcript.

If I have been placed on probation what should I do?

Discuss your upcoming semester with your academic advisor.  It might be a good idea to lighten your academic load to increase the probability that you earn at least a 2.00 semester GPA.  Students on academic probation may not enroll in more than 15 credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. You should also explore the possibility of course repeats to help quickly raise your GPA.  UCM offers many free services for academic assistance and free tutoring through the Office of Academic Enrichment.

How does being on academic probation affect my financial aid?

Your financial aid eligibility may be affected by your academic standing. The Office of Student Financial Services will contact you if there is an issue with your financial aid. Questions regarding financial assistance may be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services at 660-543-8266.

Eligibility for academics and eligibility for financial aid, while connected, are two different things.  A student can be eligible to attend the university but be ineligible for financial aid.  To qualify for financial aid, students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).


In addition, changes in 2012 federal financial aid policy allow students to repeat courses that they previously earned a grade of D or higher in only once. Students who repeat such courses for a third (or subsequent) time will not qualify for financial aid for the course and may need to add additional courses to reach 12 qualified credit hours to receive federal financial aid.  Details of the UCM course repeat policy can be found here.